2. Police criminal history check
The prior offences policy has been developed to take into consideration the responsibilities of a contemporary firefighter such as:
- Dealing with members of the community in vulnerable situations in an emergency environment
- Entering private houses in an emergency environment without the occupant’s supervision
- Having access to keys to property including large commercial properties
- Dealing with members of the public including children and isolated elderly in relation to community education
Prior Offences Policy Operational Employees (94 kb)
All applicants will be required to supply a National Police Certificate prior to proceeding to Interview. Applicants will be notified when to obtain this record.
Applicants are not required to obtain the record prior to notification from the MFB.
The National Police Certificate will be used to assess compliance with the MFB’s Prior Offences policy.
Please note that where the National Police Certificate shows a record/s of found guilty / charge/s proven this may be deemed to be a non compliance with the MFB’s Prior Offences Policy.
This is irrespective of whether or not a conviction has been recorded.
Findings of guilt without conviction and findings of guilt resulting in a good behaviour bond are findings of guilt and will be released under the Victoria Police information release policy.
For further information on Victoria Police information release policy, please refer to their website www.police.vic.gov.au
It is each applicant’s responsibility to read the Prior History Policy and ensure they comply with the policy, prior to applying to become a recruit firefighter.
The cost of obtaining a National Police Certificate will be borne by the candidate.