With cooler weather already here, making sure your heater or fireplace is in safe working order is critical.
Here are some handy tips to ensure you family stays safe and warm this winter:
- Some fires start due to lack of maintenance of heating unit, or due to build-up of dust and lint in the return air grill.
- Take precautions by having the heating unit regularly maintained as per manufacturers and warranty specifications.
- Regularly vacuum the fascia/grills/filters of the return air duct
- “Test run” the unit at the start of winter on a day when you are home. (Never start a heater and immediately leave it unattended.)
- In the event of fire:
- Dial 000
- Turn off electricity/gas supply at mains
- Evacuate to your prearranged meeting place and await arrival of the fire brigade
Fireplace safety check list:
- Clean chimneys and flues every year
- Always place a screen in front of an open fire
- Keep clothing at least one metre away from fireplaces
- Never let a fire burn after you’ve gone to bed or left the house
- Ensure ashes are cold before discarding
- Never leave children unattended around fireplaces
- Make sure you have working smoke alarms and change the batteries every year