Fire Awareness Awards
Fire Awareness Awards winners announced
After a record number of applications, winners for the 2012 Fire Awareness Awards have been announced.
Awards were presented on Monday night at the RACV City Club in Melbourne, where award and grant finalists celebrated alongside senior members of the fire agencies and ministerial representatives.
CFA Chief Officer Euan Ferguson said this year’s record number of entries showed the great work being done across the state to enhance fire awareness and safety that can reduce the incidence and impact of fire.
“The number of applications we received this year was overwhelming. Never before have we received so many,” he said.
“I would like to congratulate all of our winners and those who entered the fire awareness awards. For many of these people, carrying out these projects is not part of their job. They are volunteers or community groups dedicating their time to improving fire safety, preparedness, response and recovery.”
Winning projects include:
- Community – Community Preparedness Beechworth Neighbourhood Centre, Indigo Fireflies
- Community – Volunteer CFA Glenburn Fire Brigade, Glenburn volunteers engaging with community
- Community – Recovery Slamed Creations, Black Saturday Remembrance Cruise
- Community – Multicultural Wyndham Community and Education Centre Inc., Fire safety presentations for refugees
- Community – Youth CFA Eastern Metro Region, Warburton Fire Brigade and UYCH Community College, Youth At Risk
- Community - Aged/Disability Greater Shepparton City Council, Fire safety for HACC eligible clients
- Community – Other Regional Arts Victoria, Illuminated by Fire
- Education Rushworth P-12 College and CFA Waranga Group, Rushworth P-12 Year 9 - CFA Advance Fire Crew
- Fire Services Multi Agency Capability Committee - DSE, CFA & MFB, Cobaw Bushfire Staff Ride
- Media and Communications Ferny Creek Bushfire Alert Committee Inc., Ferny Creek Bushfire Alert System - Making Noise About Fire Safety
- Industry Ben Draffin, OneKey - multi-purpose firefighting spanner
- Design and Construction Geelong Grammar School, John Lewis Centre
- New and Emerging Technologies Alpine Shire Council, Bushfire Inspection iPad app
- Government and Municipal Alpine Shire Council, Bushfire Inspection iPad app
- Special Incentive Grant Slamed Creations, Black Saturday Remembrance Cruise
- Special Incentive Grant Deaf Access Victoria Loddon Mallee, Deaf Smoke Alarm and Alerting Equipment Loan
- Special Incentive Grant Riding for the Disabled – Oaklands, Providing Basic Fire Equipment
- RACV Insurance Fire Innovation Grant Upper Yarra Community House – Community College, Fire Trax
- RACV Insurance Fire Innovation Grant Forrest and District Neighbourhood House, Forrest on Fire
- RACV Insurance Award for Excellence Slamed Creations, Black Saturday Remembrance Cruise.
The Fire Awareness Awards recognise the extraordinary work of people, groups and organisations in their efforts to reduce the number and effects of fire in Victoria. The awards have been presented for over 25 years, as a collaborative venture between Victoria’s fire agencies – CFA, MFB, DSE and the Fire Services Commissioner.
For a full list of award winners please visit: http://www.fireawarenessawards.com.au/fire-awareness-awards-2012-winners/